Normally Christmas cake needs to be made about 6 weeks before Christmas and fed with brandy before it is iced. If you’ve forgotten or just run out of time here is a reliable quick, last minute Christmas Cake recipe. You can make the cake and then marzipan and ice it the next day and it will be ready to eat as soon as the icing has set. This also works well as a last minute birthday cake recipe.
- 125g margarine or butter
- 175g sugar (preferably dark brown or light)
- 350g mixed fruit (currents, sultanas and a few cherries)
- 50g candied peel
- 225ml water (substitute a little brandy for water if you like.)
- 1 level teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 1 heaped teaspoon of mixed spice
- 2 beaten eggs
- 125g plain flour
- 125g self raising flour
- pinch of salt
- Place the margarine (or butter), fruit, peel, water, bicarbonate of soda and mixed spice in a large saucepan and bring it to a boil and then simmer for 1 minute. Put to one side and allow to cool.
- While the mix is cooling line an 18cm square or 20cm round cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Now add eggs, flour and salt to the cooled mixture, mix well.
- Now pour the mix into the tin.
- Bake in the centre of a moderate, preheated oven at 180 Degrees Centigrade for about 75 minutes.