Prepare 5 minutes
Cooking time 30 minutes
- Half onion, peeled and ?nely chopped
- 6 cloves
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 30g butter
- 568ml carton whole milk
- 150g sliced fresh white bread (about 5 slices), crusts removed and roughly torn
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 2-3 tbsp single cream
- Heat the onion, cloves, bay leaves, butter and milk in a small pan. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain the milk and return it to the pan.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in the bread. season and add the nutmeg.
- Simmer for 3-5 minutes until the bread has broken up.
- Stir in the cream and heat through for 1 minute just before serving.