These sweet treats are perfect of leave by the fireplace when Santa comes to visit – and your friends and family will love them too. This is a great family friendly recipe that you can enjoy making with your children at Christmas.
Prepare 25 minutes + chilling Cook 20 minutes + setting Makes 35
- 300g plain flour
- 150g light brown muscovado sugar
- 150g cold unsalted buffer diced
- 2 tsp ground spice
- 1 large Free Range Egg beaten
- 300g royal icing sugar
- Juice 1 large lemon
- Silver Stardust (See Amazon.co.uk for example)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4
- Line 2-3 large baking trays with baking parchment
- Mix together the flour, muscovado sugar and ¼ tsp salt
- Add the butter and rub together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, then stir in the spice and beaten egg and bring together to make a firm dough.
- Chill for 15 minutes.
- Roll the dough out to the thickness of a £1 coin then use festive cutters to stamp out shapes – they need to be 6-7cm high.
- Place the biscuits on the baking trays and bake for 15-17 minutes until golden.
- Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.
- Place the icing sugar in a bowl and whisk in the lemon juice until thick and glossy.
- Spoon some of the mixture into a small piping bag and pipe a border around the edge of each biscuit
- Leave to set
- Spoon the remaining icing inside the border (add a splash of wafer if necessary) and tilt gently to level the surface.
- Dust the biscuits with stardust and leave for 30 minutes to set completely.